Sinister: Daniel Johnston

Nigel Turner nigelt at xxx.net
Thu Oct 23 17:11:40 BST 1997

Paul Laird wrote:

>I've got a 10"LP thingy full of strange music by the likes of
The Tinklers, Daniel Johnston, Half Japanese etc

I'm jealous!  Are you a Daniel Johnston fan?  Are there any other Daniel Johnston fans out there?  (I'm a big one, by the way...or so I've been told).  Not particularly "on-topic", but the man is a brilliant song-writer, and possibly the quintessential "tortured genius".  I think Belle & Sebastian should cover one of his songs - god knows which one, 'cause there's literally hundreds to choose from, all quite wonderful.

For those that aren't familiar with him, he's released......ooh.....I don't know really...... I must have 12 or 13 of his albums, and that's by no means the lot.  Not even sure if he's still recording.  Last I heard he'd been "institutionalised" (in a mental hospital) for the umpteenth time (he wanted to be as big as his idol, John Lennon, but couldn't hack the success (or lack of it?), and has spent much of his adult life in hospital).  Many myths surround Daniel Johnston: once he was alledged to have pushed a woman out of a 2nd floor (?) window 'cause he thought she was possed by the devil.  I was advised never to walk in front of him down a flight of stairs!

I'm not however proposing madness as a promotional vehicle for Belle & Sebastian!  I think the band would be better advised to get friendly with a soo-to-be-deceased member of the royal family.  Didn't do Elton any harm.  I'd say the Queen Mother was a good bet.

Nigel
xx