Sinister: Pastie

Walter jacques.buron at xxx.fr
Thu Oct 23 20:42:55 BST 1997

grrrrrr..........
If Stuart thinks La Pastie means apathy, who cares? Anyway, Matthew is right :
the word does not exist in french!!! (once again)
And the meaning of "bourgeoisie" (this is the right spelling, Matthew!) depends
on the period you're talking about : la bourgeoisie during the french revolution
is different from the bourgeoisie in Marx's Capital, which is different from our
bourgeoisie. In my opinion, B&S don't refer to the XIXth century, do they???
Just have a look at the Harrap's dictionnary (simpler to read than Marx...) :
" bourgeoisie n.f. coll. 2. the middle class(es)"
That's all
Walter
--
" Get me away from here, I'm dying..."