Sinister: Daniel Johnston

plaird plaird at xxx.uk
Thu Oct 23 21:06:03 BST 1997

>I'm jealous!  Are you a Daniel Johnston fan?  Are there any other Daniel
>Johnston fans out there?  (I'm a big one, by the way...or so I've been
>told).  Not particularly "on-topic", but the man is a brilliant
>song-writer, and possibly the quintessential "tortured genius".

'fraid not. I've probably only got a couple of singles (including the
brilliant 'Speeding Motorcycle' which The Pastels later covered).
I was always more of a Half Japanese fan, particularly when Don Fleming
(Axe God and Sonic Youth collaborator) was in the band. Everybody should
own a copy of their classic 'Charmed Life' LP. Mind you they also
released
quite a lot of experimental (i.e. unlistenable) stuff.
I believe Jad Fair (Half Japanese mainman) did some collaborative
recordings with Daniel, but I don't think I've got any.

Earlier today I wrote (as part of a promo idea):
>B&S could adapt this sort of idea making really nice cards - they
>won't have to be full colour or anything - and could have info on
>each band member (mind you that would burst the bag!) or just things
>that they think are cool (or anything at all, come to think of it).
>The outside of the bag could have another cool picture on it.

alternatively, the 'B&S promo brown paper bag' could contain short
ink polaroids (should confuse the uninitiated!) or even better
- real polaroids! (could be very, very expensive though).

Byee!

Paul <plaird at ndirect.co.uk>

"Go to work on an Egg" - The Egg Marketing Board