Sinister: RE: eureka and tigermilk

Hopkins T t.hopkins at xxx.uk
Fri Oct 24 11:45:00 BST 1997

 ----------
superbob said:
... because i know the best idea for promoting the next album. listen
up:
the first thousand copies come with a cd of tigermilk.....and only 1000
copies. no more. ever. that way we can get our hands on it, and it would
still remain a rare collectable sort of thing. i think i deserve a nobel
prize.

And I say that I am beginning to be really irritated with the whole
Tigermilk situation. Why would anyone *want* to have the thing staying
unavailable? I guess superbob's point is that he's irritated that he
doesn't have a copy but would be quite happy to get one and then pull
the ladder up beneath him. (I might have misunderstood here).

The fine efforts of Andy D (who did me my swiftly degrading tape) and
such fellows is great but not enough. These songs are just so good that
they deserve to go out to the people, and I know lots of B&S fans who
would never dream of getting onto a list like this. How the hell are
they going to hear it?

Or , despite all the happiness about the chart placing, would we all be
happier *really* if B&S stayed our own little secret? Is the status of
Tigermilk what keeps them ours, somehow?

The band say that there are too amny other things to do at the moment,
but what's to stop them  just letting the thing out and letting it sell
itself. It undoubtedly would (IYFS seemed to tick over very happily
without a great deal of ongoing promotion, by word of mouth(?)), and the
money generated could be used for other things. I just don't understand
it.

The main point being that this is pop music and while I understand that
each of us has our own obscure and unobtainable corners of pop history,
it seems perverse and snobbish to artificially create this one, and it
would be selfish of us to support it. 'Collectable' has nothing to do
with 'pop'.

The last copy of Tigermilk I saw on sale went for eighty pounds. That
means that to hear the songs you either have to know someone with the LP
(i.e. be in the in-crowd) or have the sort of money floating about where
you can afford to splash ?80 on an LP.

So... the privileged or the rich. Le Tigermilk of the bourgeoisie?

Moan over.

Tim  H