Sinister: Exclusive Pop

MWaggner at xxx.com MWaggner at xxx.com
Fri Oct 24 13:23:56 BST 1997

<< it's also true that the very idea
 of exclusivity within this context (belle &
 sebastian's music is mass produced and accessable,
 the 'rare' unreleased material is exclusive)
 serves to heighten the experience.  It IS to do
 with feeling 'Special', and you can't deny that's
 a Pop Emotion, surely? >>

Well then, "Pasties" all around!

Not to get into one of those psycho-, socio-, whatever- logical discussions
-- but I respectfully disagree.  While getting one's hands on something that
is "rare" can heighten  one's experience (or color it in a different way if
the rarity is different from the main), the appreciation should be based on
experiencing the rarity, not from being one of the select few to have it.  It
brings to mind those who would order complete leather-bound libraries in
order to look cultured but, when opened, none of the books' pages had been
cut -- none were ever read.   I just have a problem with feeling "special"
based on nothing more than other people's "non-specialness."  I suppose I'm
just a product of my times and Catholic upbringing :)   (to borrow a face).