Sinister: Tigermilk Reissues

Matthew A. Neimark mattn at xxx.com
Fri Oct 24 15:47:50 BST 1997

My thoughts on reissuing Tigermilk:

I don't have an LP copy of Tigermilk.  I first started listening to B&S last September, and thought that the LP would eventually get imported to the US, and thus didn't bother buying it when I still might have had a chance.  Although it would be nice to have the songs, I don't feel too much worse off since I have seen the artwork and story on the internet, and have a reasonably good copy of the songs (thanks Andy).

If anybody read the first issue of the fanzine I do, I wrote a section on bands who don't want to reissue their prior works.  (The Field Mice are probably the classic example.)

There are three reasons an artist or band might not want to choose re-release:   1) They (along with a label) feel that they could make the money back.  2) They are not 100% happy with the songs. 3) They enjoy the fact the record is rare and unattainable. Probably #1 doesn't hold (although I don't think Tigermilk would sell nearly as well as the new LP). #3 is ridiculous I'm sure.  #2 is probably the more obvious answer.  You might feel perplexed that they weren't 100% with the album, but keep in mind that most of the songs were written when the band was beginning to get a feel for each other. They perhaps reflect a bit of immaturity (not so much in the songwriting but more in their execution).  Besides, of course they'd rather concentrate on new material.

Now I feel that they should feel compelled to keep available a product in demand, and they probably will eventually.  That being said, if for whatever reason they decide not to keep it in print, they have nothing to complain about when the Tigermilk bootlegs start rushing in.

As far as Jeepster is concerned with Tigermilk bootlegs, I can understand their desire to protect the band, but don't really feel it's any of their business considering that they don't have any rights to it (according to my impression please correct me if I'm wrong Katrina).  Of course they could pay for legal fees on behalf of B&S blah blah blah although I couldn't see why it would be in anyone's interest (other than guarding an artificial "myth" factor which is an immoral interest as far as I'm concerned).