Sinister: Tigermilk Reissues

Stuart Gardiner skg21 at xxx.uk
Fri Oct 24 19:10:49 BST 1997

> There are three reasons an artist or band might not want to choose
  re-release:   1) They (along with a label) feel that they could make the
  money back.  2) They are not 100% happy with the songs. 3) They enjoy
  the fact the record is rare and unattainable.

How about 4) The publicity surrounding a rare record is good for the band?
I know B&S are renowned for avoiding publicity in the form of photos,
interviews etc., but that actually increases interest in the band; the
fact that they are doing things differently by not publicising themselves
as much as bands like Embrace has, ironically, given them great publicity.
Similarly, it seems to me that by saying nothing about Tigermilk, and not
making a fuss about re-releasing it, they have created priceless interest
in the band. Whether these tactics are accidental or extremely canny I
wouldn't know, but I suspect the latter.

If they did ever put it out again though, I think it would be best if; a)
it had a different sleeve, and b) it wasn't released on vinyl. That way
the old copies would still have that exclusivity about them which some
people seem to crave, and they would still be worth a packet (which I
suspect may be the reason why some people don't want it reissued ;-) ).

Stuart G