Sinister: promo ideas

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.uk
Sun Oct 26 08:56:11 GMT 1997

okay, so here's the deal: when the next belle and
sebastian record is released, the band go dashing
around the country playing little shows in....
SCHOOLS!  No seriously, here's the thinking behind
it:

last thursday i gave my lovely year ten kiddies
(that's 14/15 year olds to you oldsters who still
think in '3rd/4th form' concepts) a morning
assembly, in which i wittered on about how
important it is to stick with your dreams, build
foundations, ahem, 'keep the faith' basically.  I
talked a bit about Jarvis and Pulp because the
kids call me Jarvis and that was a giggle, and
then i told them the story of Belle & SEbastian,
and how excited we all were last week when we
followed the chart progress and hoped they'd be on
TOTP... Anyway, now they all know who B&S are, and
some of them are coming up to me and going, 'i
heard that belle & sebastian song on the radio
last night' and saying they like it and all...
And then last night me and Tim were talking about
it, and the promo idea, and we agreed that if a
band played in a school they'd probably sell loads
of records cos kids would be seeing their first
live show, and i dunno about you, but just the
concept of seeing a live show is pretty darn
exciting!  We'd have loads of teeny belle &
sebastian fans!  At least... loads more!  And they
could give out free posters and signed pictures,
and wee Chris and Stuart could sing a few gospel
numbers and the schools would be happy because
they'd be doing their 'act of collective daily
worship'.  I volunteer my school to be part of the
tour :-)

keep the faith,

the duke

--