Sinister: fame...who needs it?

ps115 ps115 at xxx.uk
Sun Oct 26 18:31:10 GMT 1997

As nice as the idea is of sending Belle and Sebastian on a tour of
primary and secondary schools is, I feel that maybe this is the wrong
direction for them to take. Before we know it there will be Belle and
Sebastian dolls, maybe a saturday morning cartoon show (New Kids On
The Block anyone?) their latest single will only be available to those
people who collect 50 gin bottle labels and they will be doing the
advert for UK Gold, dressed in short skirts and wearing too much
make-up. This is not the future I envisage for B&S, in fifty years I
want my children to talk in hushed whispers about a strange mythical
band, a band who never did interviews, rarely played gigs and yet
crafted songs of such poise and beauty, songs whose lyrics are the
soundtrack to a thousand lost days. Bands like B&S do not need the
mainstream, their popularity demonstrates this, the mainstream needs
them. Like so many however, the media makes icons only to shoot them
down (Stone Roses).
Belle and Sebastian never openening a supermarket near you. I hope.