Sinister: re: radio 1's the Net interview

Andrew Dean Andrew.Dean at xxx.net
Mon Oct 27 15:12:57 GMT 1997

ok, a transcription of the recent interview on the Net, that
radio 1 showbiz news type thing that goes out 3 times a day.
it's a lot longer than the bit that they quoted on the
ceefax page.

radio 1:
now, scottish 8 piece b&s say they're happy to remain
elusive to the media. the band were formed at the beginning
of last year and have been the subject of much industry
interest. now they're starting to sell some records too.
like this ep called '3, 6, 9 seconds of light' which is a
top 40 hit this week. the band hardly ever do interviews but
two of them, chris and sarah, did talk to us. chris says
they don't believe in playing the media game.

chris:
it doesn't make your record any better if you go in the nme
telling everyone you're the best band in the world. you know
what i mean? i mean, you make a record and you stand or fall
by the record and if people like it they'll buy it and if
they don't they won't. you can't make people buy something
they don't like just by going in the nme every week telling
everyone you're the greatest band in the world (when). it's
pointless. it's really easy to say that, it's a lot harder
to give respect where it's due to other people and just keep
quiet.

radio 1:
the band say they'd rather let the songs speak for
themselves and even hate explaining what their music's like

chris:
you don't have to give 'em an idea cos the only idea they'll
get is when one of their pals go 'oh, i heard this record
and it's good, listen to it' or something like that. because
that's the only way i've ever got into any bands in the
past, all my favourite bands, it's certainly not by reading
about them in the press. y'know, you hear it on the radio
and you go 'that's great'

sarah:
everything seems to change from one day to the next anyway.
each song comes out sounding completely different. it's not
really worth trying to shove it into a category cos we'd go
and make it pointless the next time we pick up our
instruments.

chris:
it all depends on what part of the menstrual cycle we're all
in...

radio 1:
and you don't want to catch them on a bad week, believe me.
anyway, if you like them, b&s will be releasing a new album
but not until early next year.

[end]
i'd not heard chris' voice before and it's kinda soft and
sweet (which he probably won't thank me for - it's on par
with having a teddy bear named after you in the 'ick'
stakes). sarah's accent was a lot less pronounced than i
remember it. still drop dead gorgeous though.

andy
my tigermilk tape just got mangled by my walkman. not happy.