Sinister: 7"!!

Robert McTaggart mctag at xxx.com
Mon Oct 27 21:49:03 GMT 1997

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997 13:03:16 +0100, Chris Worth wrote:

>I think that the best thing B & S could do is release a series of
>ultra - collectable limited edition 7" singles on a singles club
>label.

Nonsense

>The band could even do the artwork themselves; I mean, they could
>hand - paint the sleeves, or whatever.

Oh how sweet

>Tigermilk... should not be re-released. Let it stay collectable.

Please explain why precisely.  If you have a copy, presumably you want
to keep it expensive so that when they get too popular to be smug
about liking them you can sell them to some hapless Japanese tourist
for some over-inflated price.  If you don't, then you are simply mad.

>Where is this Smile night in Manchester??

It's a place where pop fans go to share their love of ace records.
SHARE, comprendez?

Look Chris I'm sure you're a sweet guy and all, but please don't be so
precious.  To decree that 'Tigermilk' should only be available to the
select few is nothing more than snobbery.  Let me tell you the story
of the record fair this weekend, I played host to two Northern Soul
fans front Sweden this weekend.  Their love for this music was
unquestionable.  Music that, may I remind you, was made at least 25
years ago...Let's just imagine a gang of Belle and Sebastian fans in
30 years time (not difficult, this is timeless music).  So in your
Stalinist pop regime, these enthusiastic pop kids would never be able
to find the music they truly love or else play 1000's of pounds for
the privilege.  What you suggest denies a new generation of people
from buying something that makes them feel good, just through accident
of time and place of birth.  I saw 50 year old Northern Soul
officianados with big smiles on their faces, just because 20 year olds
had come miles to celebrate the music they loved.  Much nicer than a
clique, don't you think.. repent of your sins Chris and I'll tell you
where Smile is...you know it makes sense.