Sinister: press release

plaird plaird at xxx.uk
Tue Oct 28 01:26:08 GMT 1997

>hey. a couple months back or less a press release was posted to the
>list for 3..6..9. the one where some member of the band reckoned some
>song on the new e.p. sucked or something to that effect.
>could whoever posted that, or if anyone saved it, please repost it please.
>thanks.
>-brad

Actually I didn't save the mail, but I was sent one of the press releases,
so here it comes:

BELLE AND SBASTIAN
3,6,9 SECONDS OF LIGHT EP
RELEASED 13 OCTOBER - JEEPSTER

featuring the songs:
CENTURY OF FAKERS
LE PASTIE DE LA BOURGEOISIE
BEAUTIFUL
PUT THE BOOK BACK ON THE SHELF

Hello, I've been asked to write a press release for this, our latest record.
I have never written one before. I have never seen any of our previous press
releases. I don't have access to one, so I can't copy it. I'm in the group,
I play guitar.

I assume this goes out to journalists at the newspapers and the music press.
I have not read that much on the group previously, but I believe we have done
quite well with regards to exposure in the press: mostly positive, occasionally
ecstatic and sometimes quite derisory. I don't care, I love it all. It's great
reading about your group in the press, including the inevitable inaccuracies
(but that somehow only adds to the fun). One thing thoughŠ

Much has been made of our unwillingness to do interviews and be photographed.
I don't understand it. During the early summer you couldn't open a magazine
without someone in the band's mug and words of wisdom staring back up at you.
I suppose if we get perceived as awkward, contrary, Scottish Indie Popsters,
that's the way it goes. I'm not complaining, it's only showbiz and I'm quite
grateful for all the attention. Right now we are making more records and
attempting to get better at playing gigs. I know we are a shambles, but we've
only played about ten shows and the gaps between songs etc. are caused through
ineptitude. We could never be deliberately contemptuous of an audience and we
are trying to get better - HONEST!

Which brings me to our latest record. It's really good, and I like it a lot.
Track 2 is my favourite, although wee Chris on keyboards thinks it sucks.
Track 4 is a really good song, which I think we could have done much better,
although Mark at the record company went wild for it. Well, so much is in
the ear of the beholder I guess.

Anyway, I hope you will like it.

Love Stevie.

and if that's not enough, I was also sent LLPJ, so here's the PR:

LAZY LINE PAINTER JANE EP
RELEASED 28TH JULY - JEEPSTER

This is Belle and Sebastian's new single.
It's about a girl called Jane, who is lazy. Belle and Sebastian are lazy
too, but they don't draw lines. "It would take too much effort" (Stuart
David - Belle and Sebastian).

"I used to dream of making music this good, used to wish  that I'd written
all the songs that I'd ever fallen in love with. Then along comes this
band who seem to drift effortlessly into my life, just to as effortlessly
create the songs that I now fall in love with. After so long of liking half
an album or half an EP, it's a bit strange not to be able to fault a whole
back catalogue and they still continue adding to it.

'Photo Jenny' is all those moments when my innocent desire turned to
innocent want (in the 'Pictures of Lily' vein). 'You Made Me Forget My Dreams'
is the morning after you first tell someone that you love them and 'Lazy Line
Painter Jane' has so far escaped meaning, It's just an epic of a song if
'just' can be used in that way.

That's what these songs are to me, maybe they mean something totally
different, maybe I read too much into these things. Either way I don't think
I could carry on as I did, now I have these songs in my head."
                                 David Kitchen (Official Fanclub Agent)

The "Lazy Line Painter Jane'EP is the second of the three summer EPs, all
of which contain new material. The four songs on this EP are:

LAZY LINE PAINTER JANE              PHOTO JENNY
YOU MADE ME FORGET MY DREAMS        A CENTURY OF ELVIS

Phew! yes, I've got a bit of spare time tonight.
anyway, brad, could you save it this time?

Byee!

Paul <plaird at ndirect.co.uk>

"Go to work on an Egg" - THE EGG Marketing Board