Sinister: tour diary part 7

Andrew Dean Andrew.Dean at xxx.net
Tue Oct 28 14:23:15 GMT 1997

[stuart murdoch]

Me and Neil and my friend Steve from Seattle went looking
for the Largest Cathedral in America. Tom said it was
anyway, but I thought he was getting mixed up, or I expected
cathedrals to be really small in America. Because didn't all
big cathedrals get built about the time of the Vikings? So
we went up on the tube to 116th Street, and got lost a bit,
and then we found it. It was the largest building I'd ever
seen.
The funny thing was that we were originally meant to play
in this place. U2 would have trouble pulling it off in
there. We could've played in the f***ing vestry! There was a
43 second reverb up the nave.
The sound would have been like condensed soup.
Nice place, though. I wandered in and out of the nine or
so smaller chapels behind the alter. Chapels to Saint
Columbus, Saint James, Saint some others. I had an
ecclesiastical dump in the toilets which were through the
cathedral shop. There was confessional graffiti in the bogs.
I lost track of time a bit, and when i got out Neil and
Steve had been waiting for some time. Neil told me that
Steve didn't hang around in the cathedral. Although he liked
it, he felt a bit strange being a fag in a holy place.
We walked Steve to his hostel and then to his bus. At the
stop Neil bought a vanilla sports shake. He said it was 'the
very dorts' and we agreed. Me and Steve went to buy the same
shake. We stood on the corner all drinking from the
distinctive design of can, looking like three tubes.
Everyone felt sick after for ages.
We say Steve on to the bus, and he was sad because he had
a good time, and we wouldn't see him again for ages. Also,
he doesn't have a proper boyfriend in Seattle, so
consequently he is always giving to people but never really
taking.

Melody Maker 18th October 1997

um, still no sign of part 5. oh um...

andy