Sinister: why this is important

Hopkins T t.hopkins at xxx.uk
Tue Oct 28 15:56:00 GMT 1997

The point of what I'm saying, the reason that I may be seeming a touch
critical of B&S, is that I remember from ten years ago how many bands,
artists, writers, whatever, were trying to make it on their own terms
and never got anywhere near a mass audience.
In so many ways, Belle and Sebastian feel like the band I've been
waiting for for a decade, the fulfilment of all my pop dreams of the
perfect fusion of songs and beauty and youth and so on and on. I might
be being unfair but I have the highest hopes for them and I am desperate
they don't blow it, blow this unique position they've found themselves
in. They could be so important while taking a critical stance on the
tainted music industry. Or they could be another brilliant band playing
music that we love, by the rules.
I'm sure they understand. Sign after sign, hint after hint show that
they understand how important it could be to find a position of strength
without the homogenising cultural muscle of the music industry. (A
homogenising cultural muscle whose products I also enjoy, but would
cherish an alternative to).
I'm saying this now bedcause I love them, I'm saying it now because I
don't want to be sad or angry in two years having been let down again,
like I was (we were, eh duke?) with Hurrah! or the Smiths or so many
others years ago.

Doing my best to keep the faith.

Yours in age
TimH