Sinister: why this is important

J M Forsyth jmf at xxx.net
Tue Oct 28 15:45:41 GMT 1997

re:

>I'm sure they understand. Sign after sign, hint after hint show that
>they understand how important it could be to find a position of strength
>without the homogenising cultural muscle of the music industry. (A
>homogenising cultural muscle whose products I also enjoy, but would
>cherish an alternative to).
>I'm saying this now bedcause I love them, I'm saying it now because I
>don't want to be sad or angry in two years having been let down again,
>like I was (we were, eh duke?) with Hurrah! or the Smiths or so many
>others years ago.

2 Questions:

i) What is a homogenised cultural muscle? Is there a less pretentious term
for this part of the anatomy?

ii) Isn't this being-let-down-by-bands-and-populism thing (something that
miraculously ceases to bother you when you give up reading the music press,
by the by), if it has happened with what seem to be some of the bands you
most like, as central a part of your enjoyment of pop as any other?

rgds
john.