Sinister: tour diary part 7

Peter Miller and/or Arantxa Ubieta oc245d8aff at xxx.net
Tue Oct 28 15:11:45 GMT 1997

Andrew Dean wrote:

> [stuart murdoch]
>
> Me and Neil and my friend Steve from Seattle went looking
> for the Largest Cathedral in America. Tom said it was
> anyway, but I thought he was getting mixed up, or I
> expected
> cathedrals to be really small in America. Because didn't
> all
> big cathedrals get built about the time of the Vikings? So
>
> we went up on the tube to 116th Street, and got lost a
> bit,
> and then we found it. It was the largest building I'd ever
>
> seen.
> The funny thing was that we were originally meant to play
> in this place. U2 would have trouble pulling it off in
> there. We could've played in the f***ing vestry! There was
> 43 second reverb up the nave.
> The sound would have been like condensed soup.
> Nice place, though. I wandered in and out of the nine or
> so smaller chapels behind the alter. Chapels to Saint
> Columbus, Saint James, Saint some others. I had an
> ecclesiastical dump in the toilets which were through the
> cathedral shop. There was confessional graffiti in the
> bogs.
> I lost track of time a bit, and when i got out Neil and
> Steve had been waiting for some time. Neil told me that
> Steve didn't hang around in the cathedral. Although he
> liked
> it, he felt a bit strange being a fag in a holy place.
> We walked Steve to his hostel and then to his bus. At the
> stop Neil bought a vanilla sports shake. He said it was
> 'the
> very dorts' and we agreed. Me and Steve went to buy the
> same
> shake. We stood on the corner all drinking from the
> distinctive design of can, looking like three tubes.
> Everyone felt sick after for ages.
> We say Steve on to the bus, and he was sad because he had
> a good time, and we wouldn't see him again for ages. Also,
>
> he doesn't have a proper boyfriend in Seattle, so
> consequently he is always giving to people but never
> really
> taking.

Well, more logs to the fire, or whatever it should be. The
boy Murdoch is obviously a religious freak after all.

This very nice tour diary extract has given me a good laugh,
so it becomes fantastic B&S moment number 22.

Andy Dean typing it out for the rest of us is number 23.
Thanks.

Number 24 is one that I forgot: "bloodygreat St. Bernard
dog".

Peter