Sinister: random thoughts

Peter Higgins p.higgins at xxx.uk
Tue Oct 28 16:37:35 GMT 1997

evening all, this is my first message to this list, so forgive any
screw-ups.  I'd just like to add my opinions to the whole issue of bands
letting you down or screwing up or whatever.  I too have very high hopes
for BandS but there is a danger of forgetting that we are the fans and they
are the band - let's face it, if they decide they wanna "sell out" that's
really up to them.  And if they decide they want to do a rock opera about
Adolf Hitler (for example) then that's up to them too.
Being a fan is great fun but also depressing - I remember being let down by
the House of Love (selling out, re-releasing "Shine On"), The Auteurs
(turning crap very quickly), and, yes, even The Smiths (signing to a major
label - amazing how upsetting that seemed at the time...)
But then think about someone like The Wedding Present, who followed their
own rules, rather admirably, but still ended up, well, where, exactly?  And
think about the abominable nightmare that is Chumbawamba - big hit single
for their nice new major label, but then let's face it, straight in at
number thirty two for the next one, dropped by the label pretty damn
sharpish, I would say...
Anyway, I'm all in favour of worshipping belle and sebastian, cos I think
they're fucking ace, but a little perspective comes in handy too - don't
expect them to be perfect and don't be too disappointed when other people
like them because of their fluke hit single or whatever else may happen in
the future.  Watching the progress of a band like this is very interesting,
with all the potential pitfalls that lie in their way - how disappointed
will we be when there's a TWO CD single, instead of an EP, or they turn up
on some godawful kids tv show, or they make lots of money and move to Spain
or something...?
I hope that BandS are having fun right now, and earning enough to keep them
off the streets, and I hope they like having the kind of fans they've got.
Finally, apologies if I've rambled or sounded a tad patronising at times,
but I'm making this up as I go along.