Sinister: random thoughts

MWaggner at xxx.com MWaggner at xxx.com
Wed Oct 29 06:33:21 GMT 1997

All this talk about bands selling out and / or turning to crap -- I don't
know...

I think sometimes we fans forget that, in addition to being "artists,"
 performers are also going about their "jobs."  This is what they've chosen
to make their living at and they have to pay for a home & food like the rest
of us.  Maybe they don't want to keep doing gigs at night and working all day
at a crap job to keep body & soul together -- so they try to expand the fan
base a bit (no matter how loyal and rabid a small group of fans may be,
they're only able to purchase a small number of recordings and tickets).

And let's not forget the "ego" of the artist.  Not the "ego-mania" type of
thing, but just the ability to do or create something that you believe people
will want to see or hear.   Certainly someone who gets up on a stage, or who
records their music for sale, has a certain amount of "ego" or desire to be
heard.  Else they'd be sitting up in their attic like Emily Dickenson writing
out lyrics on little pieces of paper and tying them up with ribbon.  If you
feel you have something to say it's natural that you want to say it to as
large a number of people who will enjoy or understand it as possible. You
can't fault an artist for trying to make a living out of something as fickle
as catching the interest of the public for a time.  It could all disappear in
a moment.

I believe some people "sell-out," but I think they meant to all along, and
you can almost see it coming from the start.  It wasn't about creation, but
about marketing or whatever.  Everyone has their favorite examples.  But you
can't accuse every talented band that hits big through that twist of fate or
of being in the right place at the right time of "selling out."   Or for
trying to maximize their "profit" while they can.

Some artists create crap from day one.  Some create beautiful things for a
time and then, sadly, just lose the spark that enabled them to create beauty.
 It's certainly sadder for the artist than for the fan, I would imagine.

I say, give them all a break.  Every one of them.  Be glad for what they gave
you when they did.  And wish that B&S get their dream, -- fame, fortune,
relative obscurity -- whatever it might be.

(Sorry -- I just felt like defending the world tonight)