Sinister: NME article

stephen troussé poetryplace2 at xxx.uk
Wed Oct 29 12:05:46 GMT 1997

I've just the read the NME feature and it's a rum old do. Essentially,
James Oldham goes up to Glasgow and finds that none of the band
particularly wants to be photographed and they're even less keen on being
interviewed. The article details the journalist's growing exasparation,
concluding as follows:

"From afar, their success looks like a triumph for principled actions, up
close it looks like an accident of bad behaviour. After all, here is a band
who seem to object to doing interviews and photographs simply because they
can't be bothered rather than because of any radical manifesto. It's hardly
punk rock is it? Still it's their prerogative."

I don't think the band come out of it particularly well, and it seems like
this kind of thing is likely to happen more and more as they become
increasingly successful. And if the band don't want to do interviews, the
press is going to run the articles anyway, rehashing all this stuff about
them being truculent, un-cooperative gits. Is there any way out of this ? I
remember Dexys used to take out adverts instead of doing interviews, but it
does seem to smack of paranoia...

Stephen