Sinister: The Meaning of Pop

Peter Miller and/or Arantxa Ubieta oc245d8aff at xxx.net
Wed Oct 29 20:11:02 GMT 1997

Indie Pop is like a game of Kerr-plunk!! - a cacophony of
clattering noises and lots of bright colours.

Mainstream Pop is like a game of Buckaroo!! - the rewards
are greater, the excitement is multiplied, but the more
records you sell, the more the pressure increases until one
day the donkey bucks and all your hard work is scattered all
over the living room, leaving you to pick up the pieces.

I've just bought "Shleep" by smelly hippy Robert Wyatt. It
is so nicely packaged (the cellophane annd everything) that
I don't want to open it. Is this part of the pop experience,
or am I going a bit loopy?

Only one of Simon and Garfunkel had a dodgy haircut. And it
wasn't Garfunkel. The song "Cecelia" reminds me of when I
went on a school trip to Butlin's Barry Island. We did
parachute jumps from training towers (just like Action Man)
under the supervision of soldiers. "Cecilia" was on the
radio as they yelled at me to get in position to jump off.
The soldiers were singing, but instaed of the real words
they sang, "Cecilia, you're breaking my fart" which was
quite disconcerting at that age.

I suggest breaking an egg into the back of the broken
computer. It usually works for most things.

Tell us more about this interview, anyone willing to soil
themselves with a music paper. I won't be able to get it for
at least two weeks and for double the price. Nevertheless, I
do buy it sometimes, mainly to drool over the adverts at the
back. Pop or wot?

Peter

PS: I'm quite enjoying all this philosophical stuff really.
A bit beyond me, though.