Sinister: The Orchids

Matthew A. Neimark mattn at xxx.com
Fri Oct 31 16:54:47 GMT 1997

>Bye  Giuseppe
>BTW: What's happened to the Orchids?

Ah the Orchids.  A band whose pristine at least matched that of Belle and Sebastian.  From the same Glasgow origins no less.  Released flexi tracks, singles (on Sarah and CAFF), albums (exclusively on Sarah).  Never really acknowledged for their greatness (because they were a SARAH band).  Drank a lot of alcohol.  I'm sure they don't exist anymore.

But while we are on the subject of Sarah, I just want to give everyone on the list a bit of historical perspective.  On one Monday in this month of November 10 years ago, the Sarah label was born.  It lasted 8 years while being nothing but abused by indie snobs and the NME.

Go figure, out of the four bands I interviewed in the first issue of Candy Factory, B&S were the only band not to cite a Sarah band as an influence.  I figure though, eventually there will be an obscure reference in one of the stories one of these days.

Matt