Sinister: My top ten/Monica Queen

Chris Leonard cleonard at xxx.COM
Fri Oct 31 09:09:04 GMT 1997

>>>and who is monica queen -- forgive me, i'm in australia. which means
>>you'll have to forgive me for a lot.
>>
>>I think - although I may be wrong and thinking of someone else
>>          entirely - that she sang in a band called Thrum, who were
>>          also from Glasgow and were vaguely described as "country
>>          rock".
>>
>>         I trust someone will correct me soon
>>
>>          The Archdeacon of Pop

She did indeed sing with Thrum.  I not sure if they're still together,
LLPJ is the first I heard of her in ages.  They had an album out
"Rifferama" in 94 (i think) and the single "So Glad" which the music
press liked.  I remember reading Monica's voice described as "Tammy
Wynnete with a hard on", an image which I have since tried in vain to
get out of my head.

I used to play in a band, and we practiced at the same time at the same
rehersal rooms as Thrum.  I remember once hearing a lovely gentle voice
and investigating to see Monica singing to herself on her guitar, and I
was quite taken.  Then the rest of her band arrived and it's like
"WWWWWAAAAAAaaAaAaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA".  Jesus.  I have to say it is a
remarkable voice to come out of someone so small.

I like her bit in LLPJ.  I like it with a cringe if you know what I
mean.  The same way as I find PJ Harvey attractive.  She scares me but
i've started to like it.

That is all.

from Chris