Sinister: Nick Drake and B and S

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.uk
Mon Sep 1 21:13:16 BST 1997

> Sorry to hark back to the old Nick Drake
> chest-nut , but B and S
> obviously have a lot of respect for him.

'obviously'??  i think i'm correct in remembering
that someone, maybe it was Stuart David, stated
not so long ago that several members hated Nick
Drake, and that only a few members could even bear
to listen to him.  i must admit to getting
irrationally irate when people bring up the drake
thing, even though i admit to having pushed the
band at friends because i know those friends love
drake.  anyway, i think it's a lazy comparison to
make... stuart m sometimes sounds like drake,
whatever.  b&s songs tend to have a lightness and
humour that i tend not to hear on drake songs (and
i have had my drake phase... when i was early 20
and lonely, whatever...).

> I think Stars of Track and
> Field... is a direct reference to Nick's own
> incredible prowess as an
> athlete when he was younger

and i don't think it is :-)

a million miles above the clouds... and laughing.

the duke

--
Tangents On-Line
http://www.virtual-pc.com/tangent/