Sinister: West 54th taping

Skreddy56 at xxx.com Skreddy56 at xxx.com
Sat Sep 6 03:18:05 BST 1997

OK--by the time you read this, I'm sure someone else will have sent a better
review of the show today than this one, but here goes...

My mom picked me up from school a bit early (11:45), so we could get a good
spot in line for the show.  The doors were going to open at 2:45, but
needless to say, it all started a little late.  Anyway, we had a good spot in
line, and we got really good seats, but he space was so small, that everyone
was less than 20 feet from the band.  Now, I'm sure these aren't in very good
order (and maybe one or two is missing), but here is the setlist:

is it wicked not to care
dylan in the movies
slow graffiti
seymour stein
century of elvis
rollercoaster ride
lazy line painter jane
ease your feet in the sea
mayfly (twice)
   break to switch tapes (with a short version of i'll be your mirror)
...middle distance runner
sleep the clock around
???
(note-I only know the names because a setlist was right nearby, if they're
not the right songs, i'm sorry)

The show was very good, even though you could tell they were very nervous
(maybe it was because the stage setup was odd, with people around them in a
circle, or maybe they're just not that used to playing in front of people).
 It was strange seeing them do so many "rocking" songs--so much of the album
is calm.  Sleep the clock around even had a keyboard-produced percussion loop
in it.  It was very nice to hear Lazy Line painter Jane without Monica Queen
(although, I have to say, her voice is growing on me)--it was a lot more,
well pleasant isn't quite the word I want to use, but it will have to do.  On
"Mayfly" (performed with a stylophone!), Mr. Murdoch forgot the words partway
through, and they had to stop (this was for tv, after all).  They asked if
anyone had the album with them, and a guy a few seats down (the owner of my
local record store, and my boss) just happened to have the LP with him, and
Stuart proceeded to read the song off the back cover.  Then, at the end of
the song, the cable came out of the guitarist's overdrive pedal, and a bunch
of noise (if you have a guitar and amplifier, you know the sound) came out
while he was trying to put it back in (somehow, i don't think Mayfly will
make it to the TV show).  During the break (while the tapes were flipped),
the band was tuning and talking, and finally asked if there were any requests
from the audience (with 1 condition: it had to be a cover), and they did a
rough version of "I'll Be Your Mirror" (by the velvet underground).  It's a
shame that that wasn't taped--it would have been a nice addition to the TV
program.  The last song was a really rocking song, with crazy guitar solos
and everything (I don't know what it was...it wasn't on the setlist).

After the show, they came out to get their equipment, and they were talking
to people and signing autographs.  I talked with the drummer (richard
Colburn) for a couple minutes, and everyone in the band was more than happy
to talk with people.  Sorry, but I didn't have the nerve to ask if Elvis was
a dog or a cat.

I don't think they would have answered anyway.

The show, according to the host, will probably be aired in December along
with an interview that was done before the taping.

Anyway, the show was very good, and I look forward to seeing them again.

Hope to see you sunday!

--Matt Waggner

ps- I had chinese food for dinner tonight, and I got an extra fortune cookie,
so I guess you can have it.  Here it is:

You will enjoy good health, you will be surrounded by luxury.