Sinister: Last night's show....

Matrix mlang at xxx.com
Mon Sep 8 17:03:28 BST 1997

I had never seen Belle and Sebastian before, (as I would assume is true of
many of us).  First of all I just want to say that it was a total joy.
They really treated making beautiful music as a collective project and that
charm made the audience really respectful of their set, that is not an easy
thing to get out of a New York Audience.  Stuart Murdoch is a suprisingly
good frontman, I figured his voice wouldn't be audible but I could hear
every word.  This made the fact that about 9 of the 11 songs they played
last night were new and unfamiliar to me a good thing and not a bad thing.
The new lyrics are wonderful and I am filled with excitement at the idea of
this collective having a long and prolific career.  The venue was an
incredibly beautiful converted Temple and it was really suitable for their
sound.  All of the instruments sounded great except for the bass and I
don't know whether that
was because of bad playing, a bad bass amp or what...  The songs that I
know that they did were Dylan in the Movies, Stars of Track and Field, and
Lady Line Painter Jane.  They closed with Loneliness of the Middle Distance
runner which is a real gem of a song.

I just want to add that I have been to hundreds of shows in my life and
never have I seen a better looking audience.  I know that has something to
do with the youthfulness of the band and the fact that it was the lower
east side but it made me wonder if you are all beautys too.  :)

I can't wait to hear the new record... the new songs are a step up
lyrically AND musically from If You're Feeling Sinister, I have not doubt
it will be an awesome record.  Anyone else go last night?

steve matrick