Sinister: Re:Belle & Sebastian cover songs

Alex Ward bwret at xxx.com
Tue Sep 9 00:24:22 BST 1997

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, William Eshmade wrote:

> On a different point:
> Although as everybody else I am a major B&S fan I would like to hear other
> peoples views on the disorganisation of the gigs, sound wise. There was a
> recent comment in this months Q magazine with although was a bit cruel was
> to the point. Paraphrased it was that the band veered from beautiful and
> sensitive to chaotic (organsiation wise). After sitting through their 4-5
> hour sound check at Colchester (which was at times fanatsic at other
> infuriating) I wondered if they were a bit too unorganised? The trouble
> also being at the concerts themselves they seem to spend an age getting
> ready for the next song not helped when they contantly change instruments
> (although this is a very good virutostic thing ((I knew my music degree
> would come in handy one day!!)).
> Any opnions?
>

> Ben

Well, there are some bands that thrive in the live context..others do not.
Not being fortunate enough to see B&S yet, I can't tell you. However, all
bands tighten up over time, and as I understand it, they haven't had an
incredible # of shows yet.

As for changing instruments, it depends a lot on their own resolve to
making the show flow well. The last time I saw Tortoise, they had an
instrument change between every single song, but managed to make it flow
well. (Tortoise also makes it a bit humorous...john Macentire is a real ham
when running bwtween instruments...)

-Alex