Sinister: more nyc shows babble

ByTheSea6 at xxx.com ByTheSea6 at xxx.com
Tue Sep 9 21:06:54 BST 1997

Firstly, the surprise, ( but not too surprising, for we knew after their Peel
Sessions that they were great) of the week was the Delgados at the Merc on
Saturday night.  This band is sensational and if they continue to develop the
flute/strings ideas that they showed off there, their next record is gonna
amaze.
Of the three B&S shows (PBS and two at the temple), Sunday's set and the PBS
show set were quite similar.  Saturday's set was shorter than Sunday's, but
songs included Judy, State I Am In, Seymour Stein, Get Me Away From Here, and
the VU's What Goes On, which included the 30 seconds of magic where Stevie
babbled about being in NYC and doing the song for that reason, the Stuart
saying, but Stevie, i am the singer, so why are you talking so much, then
Stevie calling Stuart a "fuckin' cunt," then the bandgoing into the song full
force, Steviesinging, and Stuart taking off his guitar and dancing for the
first half of the song.  It was brilliant.  It was groovy.  Stevie play
guitar like he's in a 6tees soul band.

And finally we caught the Pastels/Autumn Leaves/Delgados/Orange
Peels/HoneyBunch show in Boston last night, and though we were close to death
for both the drive up and down from NYC, it was well worth it.  Delgados were
just as thrilling w/out the strings, Autumn Leavesare a unique 6tees
pysch-pop foursome from the Twin Cities with total grace and style on
stage-new album on Grimsey out in the very near future so look for it-and the
Pastels closed it out with a set that included Over my Shoulder and Through
Your Heart.

B&S review in the NY Times today.

yours,

bts