Sinister: re: PBS taping

Francisco Alberto Wong faw1 at xxx.edu
Wed Sep 10 03:06:55 BST 1997

I had the recent fortune of being able to attend the perhaps now fabled
Sessions on 54th taping of Belle and Sebastian.

While the wait outside was gruelling--especially while watching VIP/press
and industry people walk right in without having to wait as long, the show
was very well worth it.

I wish the band had played more songs off IYFS or the 2 current eps, but
still, being witness to a slew of new songs certainly made the event
interesting.  Part of the excitement was also seeing the notoriously
camera-shy band in person--quite a good-looking band, eh?--as well as
having the back of my head gloriously presented before the cameras as they
craned and dollied here and there 'round them.

Isobel sang the first song, "Is It Wicked Not To Care". This was followed
by "Like Dylan In the Movies", "Ease Your Feet In the Sea", "Century of
Elvis", "Slow Graffitti", a flubbed and playful "Mayfly" (Stuart had to
read the lyrics of a copy of the album that an audeince member donated), a
slow (lazy?) "Lazy Line-Painter Jane", "Seymour Stein" (which I believe
Stevie sang), "Sleep the Clock Around", the epic "Roller COaster Ride".

It was beautiful.  They were playful even tho nervous.  I wish I saw them
Saturday or Sunday, you lucky lucky people.

When they asked for a cover, I'm glad no one yelled out Freebird; someone
should have yelled out "Jennifer Juniper".  I should have yelled out
"Jennifer Juniper".

Did anyone else think the host's intro kinda cheesy, or not genuine?

francisco