Sinister: If You're Feeling Sinister

Matrix mlang at xxx.com
Wed Sep 10 18:45:02 BST 1997

Why can't I wear this record out?  Has anyone else had the experience of
putting this record on every day for the past six months thinking you might
tire of it but you never do?  It is like a fix.  Judy and the Dream of
Horses is the only song that has worn out slightly for me.  I am thrilled
with the prospect of a long and prosperous career for these guys.  Has
anyone heard a record they like more this year?  The only other record that
even comes close for me is Spiritualized's beautfully haunting LADIES AND
GENTLEMEN WE ARE FLOATING IN SPACE and Moloko's DO YOU LIKE MY TIGHT
SWEATER.

As far as gender issues, I think Seeing Other People is the best example of
this.  The song is really ambiguous.  When Stuart Murdoch sings, "you'd be
better of going with girls at least they know what they're doing" he could
be talking to a woman or a man.  There's a hand over his mouth because he
has to keep the relationship secret....  Still it is kept very ambiguous.
One of the newer songs had some ambiguities in it.  I think that these
songs are the product of a more open minded generation and also probably
result in more Smiths comparisons.  Morrisey liked to leave things vague as
well.

How old was the violin player, by the way?

matrix