Sinister: we- love- we love you...

Kate Dornan a.northern.soul at xxx.com
Wed Sep 10 19:09:15 BST 1997

> What an obnoxious indie-snob thing to say. Yes, his intro was cheesy,
> but I could go the rest of my life without hearing someone preface a
> statement with "If ___ were a true fan"...who are you to decide what
> constitutes a true fan?

Hear, hear, Tanya!...
And to the perpetrator(s) of the original comment in general:
The very juxtaposition of the words 'true/real/proper/original/etc.' and
'fan' gets lots of peoples' backs up you know, and not out of paranoia
that you mean us, either. People love music in different ways- it all
depends on their own persona and style. Or are all B&S fans supposed to
be the same?! (I speak as one who once went to a My Life Story gig as a
goth just *because* everyone else always wears feathers and tiaras...and
might I add the band thought I looked good...up the individualists.) If
I were in a band (one that were actually going somewhere, that is), I
would be glad of ANY fans! Surely you'd have been more upset if he
slagged them off.
Oh, and incidentally *hauls out well-thumbed Chamber's 20th Century
Dictionary* a fan is:

"a fanatic; now (from US use) a devotee or enthusiastic follower of some
sport or hobby, or public favourite."

Hands up anyone who could point out an 'unreal' fan then?!

Love
 Kate xxx