Sinister: If You're Feeling Sinister

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.uk
Wed Sep 10 19:36:33 BST 1997

> As far as gender issues, I think Seeing Other
> People is the best example of
> this.  The song is really ambiguous.  When
> Stuart Murdoch sings, "you'd be
> better of going with girls at least they know
> what they're doing" he could
> be talking to a woman or a man.  There's a hand
> over his mouth because he
> has to keep the relationship secret....

except of course he sings 'at least they know
where to put it', which sort of takes away the
ambiguity i think ;-)

> songs are the product of a more open minded
> generation and also probably
> result in more Smiths comparisons.  Morrisey
> liked to leave things vague as
> well.

well yeah,  i think it IS the product of a
generation who are less uptight about defining
their sexuality in rigid terms, who are more fluid
in their sexuality if you like.  i agree with the
Smiths/Morrissey thing to a point as well.  That
was an example of sexuality becoming less fixed,
and i think it explains at least in part why
Smiths were popular amongst women (aprt from the
fact that a lot of my girl friends thought Moz was
gorgeous...), but at the same time i think to a
lot of people there was a fairly strong and
explicit homosexual angle on the Smiths lyrics and
performance, certainly in the early days, what
with James Maker go-go dancing, and the Wildean
reference points.  It was kind of perverse
anti-Arcadian theatre... and the sexual angle in
that was important.  I don't think B&S are in any
way as political in their sexuality as the early
Smiths were.  Also, i have to admit i got very
annoyed at Morrissey's continual assertion that he
was in some way beyond sex, that he was a-sexual,
and those of us who knew, knew very well about his
'affairs' with the likes of, oh what was his name,
the manager of Easterhouse... whatever his name
was.  BUt you know, we were fans, we didn't say a
thing.  I regret that i wasn't strong enough to be
angry about his hypocrisy at the time though...
Hindsight, huh?

waiting with baited breath for the next session
track,

the duke

--
Tangents On-Line