Sinister: Feeling sinister about djs

Nigel Turner nigelt at xxx.net
Thu Sep 11 14:34:13 BST 1997

John Stuart wrote:

>I look forward to the day they go back to doing to late show.  Playing the
music they want to play, and getting rid of that old git Peel and his
crappy techno rubblish for good.

Well, you really asked for it, didn't you?  I'd agree that Peel does play probably.....ooh, often as many as two crappy techno records in every show, but come on..........where else (in the world?) are you going to hear such great and diverse music as Peel plays ON ONE SHOW?  The man's (virtually) irreplaceable - forget Radcliffe (whom I like, but..), forget Lamacq or any of your XFM dj's, they don't begin to cover the diversity of stuff that Peel does.  I've been listening to Peel for almost 20 years, and have heard all the great bands (bar none!) FIRST on John Peel - ok, let's name drop a little, shall we.......Joy Division, The Fall, Orange Juice, Fire Engines, Gang of Four, Birthday Party, The Smiths, Sonic Youth, Public Enemy, My Bloody Valentine, Pavement, Belle & Sebastian(!) - heard 'em all on Peel first (and I'm talking their early stuff here, when no-one else wanted to know ).  And I don't buy that "Yeah, he used to be good, but nowadays....." line either.  Where else can you hear stuff like Neutral Milk Hotel, We, Dymaxion (if you've not heard of these, you ain't been LISTENING).  I'm not saying that these bands wouldn't have made it without Peel, although I'm sure there are many who wouldn't, but no other dj that I'm aware of can claim to have championed so many great and deserving artistes.  No one else comes close.  Can I have the cheque now please, John?

Nigel