Sinister: Radio / Mainstream

Keith Watson keith at xxx.uk
Thu Sep 11 12:02:50 BST 1997

It's certainly true that Radcliffe's not as good as he used to be, it's also true that Kevin Greening is shite. Peel's also a sad old bastard who's just become a parody of himself, he seems to just play any old pish and claim that it's a thrilling new modernist record. I haven't heard Mark Radcliffe play Belle and Sebastian yet (although I don't listen too much) on the mornin show, which is odd given that he played "The State that I am In" the week that Tigermilk was released, plus had the two sessions.
	I find myself unable to enter into any mainstream/alternative debate just because these classifications are pointless, one of my favourite singles of the year has been "Remember me" by Blueboy, which could certainly be described as mainstream. There's no point in saying "Alternative is better because [say] The Smiths are better than the Spice girls". That's like saying "Mainstream is better because the Beatles are better than Thousand Yard Stare".

Keith.