Sinister: DJ Debate (not really about b&s, sorry!)

John Stuart j.stuart at xxx.com
Thu Sep 11 18:02:12 BST 1997

>Well, you really asked for it, didn't you?  I'd agree that Peel does play
>probably.....ooh, often as many as two crappy techno records in every
show,
>but come on..........where else (in the world?) are you going to hear such
>great and diverse music as Peel plays ON ONE SHOW?  The man's (virtually)
>irreplaceable - forget Radcliffe (whom I like, but..), forget Lamacq or
any
>of your XFM dj's, they don't begin to cover the diversity of stuff that
Peel
>does.  I've been listening to Peel for almost 20 years, and have heard all
>the great bands (bar none!) FIRST on John Peel - ok, let's name drop a
>little, shall we.......Joy Division, The Fall, Orange Juice, Fire Engines,
>Gang of Four, Birthday Party, The Smiths, Sonic Youth, Public Enemy, My
>Bloody Valentine, Pavement, Belle & Sebastian(!) - heard 'em all on Peel
>first (and I'm talking their early stuff here, when no-one else wanted to
>know ).  And I don't buy that "Yeah, he used to be good, but
nowadays....."
>line either.  Where else can you hear stuff like Neutral Milk Hotel, We,
>Dymaxion (if you've not heard of these, you ain't been LISTENING).  I'm
not
>saying that these bands wouldn't have made it without Peel, although I'm
sure
>there are many who wouldn't, but no other dj that I'm aware of can claim
>have championed so many great and deserving artistes.  No one else comes
>close.  Can I have the cheque now please, John?
>
>Nigel

I'm sorry but I don't care how diverse a DJ is.  I think it is far more
important what music they play.  I used to fall asleep to the Radcliffe
show.  He played lots of beautiful music which I really liked.  Belle &
Sebby, The Sundays, Beth Orton.
John Peel seems to play head hurting techno everytime I happen to listen.

This of course is just my personal preference, hope I've not offended Nigel
or anybody else with my comments.

BTW, it was Radcliffe who first started playing Belle & Sebastian.

John S.