Sinister: the fall and b&s

Eric Mason emason at xxx.com
Thu Sep 11 19:37:17 BST 1997

ok - i realize that the belle and sebastian list is not an appropriate
forum for a discussion of mark e. smith...and apologies beforehand to
individuals who really don't give a shit...but i can't continue my usual
lurking without answering some of the anti-fall comments this
morning....(or afternoon for you uk listers)...

hey - i still listen to the fall - and admire peel for still playing them -
it's just  a testament to his genius that he still sees their continued
brilliance in the face of popular opinion...i'm not trying to argue that
they're better or even as good as they were in their peak period....but, in
the face of most of what gets played on the radio - they still tower above
the vast majority....

let's not escalate this into some type of fallvsbelle discussion
please...for the sake of a majority of belle fans.

no matter how much they aurally differ - they share an intelligence and
importance that few groups can ever hope to achieve.

you can take my comments with a grain of salt however...shit...i actually
don't mind the new edwyn collins album..
now THERE's someone who writes better stuff then he did pre 1983...(joke).
also it features a guest vocal chore by the aforementioned fall main
man.....

favorite belle moment this weekend in NYC: the stuart/stevie piss-take on
the Velvets live 1969:

Stuart: should we do two sets or just one long one?etc....

they've got pop pedigree of the best kind oozing out of every syllable,
every note....

back to lurking...and i'll just rant privately and talk to myself as usual
instead of getting involved in future topics...

eric