Sinister: The state we're in (already)

David & Katrina d.kitchen at xxx.net
Thu Sep 11 23:15:27 BST 1997

Paul's on holiday. He's the chief list admin guy.
But while he's not here I get the dreaded responsibility,
and I hate to ruin a party but...

... Princess Di jokes are hardly suitable and very distasteful. Please
join an appropriate newsgroup for this sort of thing, and don't post
them to the list, I'll regard it as spamming and may remove you.

... as much as the DJ debate is sometimes intriguing and entertaining,
there have been a few very spiteful one-liners. This is flaming, and
again this has severe punishments. Please try and remember that plain
text (as e-mail is) doesn't carry irony and sarcasm very well. It's
better to be polite than attempt wit with a double meaning.

... as for sleeper and other side debates, well when we created this
list we laughingly put in a feature that censors words. Our test was on
the band name that Mark Knopfler founded (can't write it as the program
would kill this message), any message containing such words never reach
the list. Maybe it should be set to stop messages with poor bands in
them, could be more useful doncha think?

and no, none of this is trying to restrict you too much. I just like to
remember the original intention, that this list is named after a
gorgeous album and for a brilliant band and should try to reflect both.
I still believe that's possible, we've read letters from some of you
that have stopped my heart and others that make me swoon, and we pass
these onto Stuart Murdoch knowing he feels the same. So why don't we
ever see this on the list? It can't be that you're not passionate enough
or don't feel enough, after all, we all love Belle and Sebastian.

Sorry for the moan, but when I lose interest in the majority of messages
that get posted to the list, and when I receive a few complaints on the
same line, well then I know we're starting down the wrong path.

David Kitchen
(dreading the response but hoping this inspires someone to write
something pretty while you can)

--
    http://www.totalweb.co.uk/bluesoda/Belleandsebastian.htm
                mailto:d.kitchen at virgin.net