Sinister: Feeling sinister about John Peel

Stuart Gardiner SKG at xxx.uk
Fri Sep 12 10:12:54 BST 1997

>Hey There !!

<snip>

>MES

Getting insulted by proper popstars, that's a first.
A few points (in reverse order of importance);

IMHO, the best thing to come out of the Fall was Lard (Mark Radcliffe's
sidekick, for the non-UK readers).

All taste, be it music, clothes or DJs, is subjective - I'm sure lots of
people don't like Peel or Radcliffe. That doesn't make them any less of
a person (or even less of a music fan). Having opinions is good, it's
what separates man from beast, but what happened to music fans' famous
"live and let live" attitude?

The reason a lot of indie fans (me included!) don't like the Spice Girls
isn't just because they're not credible, whatever that means, it's just
because we don't like their music. Who cares what their image is?

I'd have thought that eulogising B&S on this list was pretty pointless,
because we all already know how good they are - that's why we're on the
list in the first place. I believed that people would be more interested
in opinions / (light-hearted!) debate on (admittedly tangentially)
related issues than in e-mails saying "I like Belle And Sebastian. How
about you?". Evidently I was wrong.

Anyone who complains that we're not "true B&S fans" because of a
(inaccurate in most cases) view that we only got into them after Dog On
Wheels is precisely the kind of indie snob that I've been railing about
the last couple of days. If someone likes them now, who cares what they
used to like? (I'm writing this as someone whose taste in the distant
past included buying the first Kylie Minogue album, something for which
I've long since repented and made amends!)

Finally (cue wave of relief), if anyone wants to send me a tape I'll
copy the B&S session tracks I recorded off the Evening Session this week
for them. Just e-mail me and I'll give you an address (better not take
too long over it though, I'll be off e-mail for ten days from next
Friday (cue second wave of relief), and my address will be changing four
times during that time, so it'd be easier to get tapes to me before
then).

Stuart G