Sinister: Century of Fakers

Matthew A. Neimark mattn at xxx.com
Fri Sep 12 18:11:50 BST 1997

>I do feel that Belle and Sebastian's success is purely a matter of =
>time, it is stifled by their unwillingness to play the game (do the =
>press etc.) which is fine, but even then, when a band's this good, it's =
>pretty unlikely that they'll not break through no matter what - On the =
>current curve of chart success it's looking like A Century of Fakers =
>could be top 20 stuff - I really hope so, as there'll be plenty people =
>around the world who'll not yet have heard of them (not "real" fans I =
>suppose ?!), who'll get the chance and that, to me can only be a good =
>thing

Yup.  Century of Fakers is ACE.  True crossover material.  But that leads me to another question:

What do people think of them imminently becoming mainstream?  This question has brought infinite internal conflict to myself...On one hand I love them and wish them every possible success.  On the other hand I'm infinitely jealous (somehow) of other people eventually hearing them and for their entrance into mainstream culture.  Somehow, deep inside of me, I hope that they end up as Felt or the Pastels:  a band with true diehard fans who truly like them.  Musicians and artists who cite them as inspiration in the future.  I hate the idea of some slick DJ talking over the beginning of their songs.

Worse I hate the idea of Kasey Kasem putting them in his top 40 show: "And here's a little story about the band coming up.  It turns out that the bassist Stuart David has a hobby.  He enjoys writing.  So he made a booklet and called it 'Ink Poloroids' because the stories are about his life in the band.  Have you guessed yet?  That's Right Belle and Sebatian coming in three positions higher at number eighteen with their hit, 'Lonliness of a Middle Distance Runner'"

Matt

PS Why do the administrators not like Dyre Straets...HA Super FakeOUT