Sinister: a worrying thing

superbob parachute at xxx.net
Wed Sep 17 12:26:57 BST 1997

i'm getting kinda scared. well, not scared. worried.
i've always been a fanatical album collector. i won't brag about how
many albums i have. i'll just say it's probably too much for someone who
doesn't own a record store. well, i guess that's a way of bragging,
isn't it? oh well. "hey what are you getting at?" askes you.....well,
i'll tell you.
i've always had the theory that the reason i spend every penny on a new
album or single is because i'm always in search of the perfect song. the
perfect band. the perfect emotion stated in the perfect way. and i knew
it would happen one day. one day my search would be over. it's kind of
saddening. enter belle and sebastian.
i don't have tigermilk. i've haven't got dog on wheels(yet). and i just
recently in the past three weeks purchased sinister. i go through
phases, as i'm sure all of you do, where i get a new album and i may
stop listening to my favorite-band-of-the-moment for a while. or i'll
listen to nothing but a band that i'm about to see in concert and after
the show, i hang em up for three or four months. it all depends on what
i want to hear when i wake up.
but since i've got sinister, none of those other albums mean anything.
sinister is everything i ever looked for in an album. b & s are
everything i ever looked for in a band (and i don't know a damn thing
about them). and i listen to nothing but sinister all day every day for
three weeks now. and that's not all such a good thing. remember when
stone roses "stone roses" came out? i listened to nothing but that album
for months upon months. and i'm sure a lot of you on this list did the
same. now i haven't picked it up in a couple of years, but i still know
what perfection it was and how it made me feel. i'm worried that
sinister one day will become "stone roses". and i know i should listen
to other things so as not to wear it out, but i can't. today i bought
the new cornershop and i only got through the first three songs before i
decided i'd rather be listening to sinister.
"why are you wasting my time by making me read this?" askes you agayn. i
dunno. i guess because the people on this list are the only other people
i have some sort of contact with (no matter how feeble it is), that
would understand. now i feel like some elitist fanboy. the type i've
always hated. oh well.

-brad