Sinister: Proposition...

Keith Watson keith at xxx.uk
Wed Sep 17 13:23:05 BST 1997

-----Original Message-----
From:	Paul Forsyth [SMTP:paulf at xxx.uk]
Sent:	Wednesday, September 17, 1997 11:30 AM
To:	'B&S mailing list'
Subject:	Sinister: Proposition...

>From the bowls of my grey matter comes this idea...

I've read about music artists gaining more control of their music by
publishing their music via the web, i.e an electronic format, therefore
avoiding the publishing companies altogether.

Would it be a good idea for Belle and Sebastian to publish Tigermilk in
this way via their web site? Would you 'buy' it, or would you like it
for free? Would you even listen to it in this form? What about a live
internet gig?

Any other opinions...?

[Keith Watson]

It's a nice idea but to download the whole album at 44K a second makes :

44*60 = 2640K per minute
2640 * 45 = 118800K = 118 Megabytes,

which at a probable maximum throughput of around about 3K a second (at least in the UK) would be
around about 11 hours to download, which could wind up being rather costly - again, this'll be in the land of non-free local telephone calls - so if you had to buy it (which, lets face facts, would be only fair), you'd have to pay another 13 quid or so on top of the actual price of the album. Granted that'd be loads less than the 200 quid asking price at the moment, but still.

	Chris told me last christmas that they were going to release it on CD soon, however soon that he told me they weren't going to release it in the forseeable future. The reason for this I reckon, is basically, the mystique that having a brilliant unavailable album creates, it generates so much interest in the band it's untrue, I'm sure they will eventually release it, but it just seems that it's more beneficial to them not to release it.

Cheers,
	Keith.