Sinister: Groundskeeper Willie Accents

plaird plaird at xxx.uk
Thu Sep 18 05:58:17 BST 1997

Clint Barnes (clbarnes at cisco.com) wrote:
>After hearing 'A Century Of Elvis' and That-Arab Strap-
>Song-Where-The-Guy-Talks-Throughout-The-Song-
>Instead-Of-Singing, I'm now interested in hearing more
>and more of the Scottish accent. Does anyone know of
>other songs that are recorded in this style? Interesting
>music with a person speaking in a Groundskeeper Willie
>accent? I watched the Blue Boy last night in an effort to
>appease my ears, but it wasn't enough. I guess tonight I'm
>going to rent Gregory's Girl and Local Hero again.(Clint Barnes)

The Pastels 'Sittin' Pretty' LP immediately comes to mind. Although not
strictly
'Groundskeeper Willie' style, songs like 'Ditch the Fool' and 'Sittin'
Pretty'
definitely betray S. Pastels' West of Scotland brogue in a
not-quite-singing
voice. There are also ace songs like 'Nothing to be done' and 'zooom' on
it.

I'm sure some other maybe more obvious suggestions will be posted (BMX
Bandits
and suchlike).

and more:
>does anyone know of this crazy guy who does a radio show calling
>himself 'wee fat bob'? my pal and i heard it one morning
>during our trip to Scotland last spring, and i haven't
>een able to find out a damn thing about the guy since.
>	The show was pretty lame, but it was hilarious to hear
>someone telling people to call him on the Fat Boy Line!
>Oh yeah, a tie-in... Ok, has Wee Fat Bob ever mentioned
>or played B&S on his show?

Spookily enough, I was at work on Sunday morning (5 hours after clubbing)
and the radio had Wee Fat Bob on it. Lame's not the word for the show
-as I recall we actually remarked on its mainstream '80s timewarp
feel (Hall & Oates et al).
I recall the show being mildly amusing, but more at the attempts
(most failing miserably) at radio DJ humour.

Sadly, I seriously doubt if he's even heard of B&S.

Cheerio in a scottish accent,

Paul
(plaird at netdirect.co.uk)

"Go to work on an Egg" - Egg Marketing Board