Sinister: reactions to badges

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.uk
Fri Sep 19 17:14:29 BST 1997

Andrew Dean wrote:

> oh, bloke in comic shop on monday after spotting
> my badge:
> "is that your dog?". what do you say? do you
> stand there for
> 10 minutes explaining belle and sebastian and
> dog on wheels
> or what?

my badge stories: the Patch one; Clare in my
classroom just before the end of the summer, i'm
wearing my patch badge and she goes 'nice badge,
what's it all about?' and i tell her the story of
how it's a belle and sebastian badge (she knew
about them, all my students knew about them... i
wouldn't shut up about them) and how this dog is
called Patch and this is the one that the actual
owner of Patch sent to me.  Clare says 'do you
have any spares?' and i say oh dear i just mailed
my spare to Madame Cholet in America.  Mentioning
people you know in the americas is always a good
way to impress the kids :-)  And then as luck
would have it Jon sent me another spare in the
mail just a few days later so i gave it to Clare,
which is how she came to have a Patch badge.

the enamel one (pt1): in the Boston tea Party
coffee shop, ordering a latte and a flapjack and
the guy is looking at my jacket intently and
points to my badge and goes 'wasn't that a tv
show!?' and i say yeah, so he goes 'i remember
that!!' dead happy.  So i say now it's a Pop Group
of the highest calibre, and he goes 'i'll have to
look out for them then!'  i go, you'd be making a
good move and then pay for my latte and flapjack.

the enamel one (pt2): Becky in my classroom just
after we have come back, and i'm wearing one of my
enamel badges on my jacket lapel and she goes
'nice badge, can i have one?'  I say maybe, and
she says 'Brown is the in colour' and i go 'belle
& sebastian are a band' and she goes can you do me
a tape then too?' and i go okay.  Becky now wears
her Belle & Sebastian badge in the knowledge that
brown is the fashionable colour and that belle &
sebastian are a wonderful Pop group.    Several
other students have now harassed me for badges,
and David says Thank You because they can sell
more.

ON which matter, David, if you've read this far,
um, did you mail those badges, and did you mail
that second tape???  i've still not got anything
and i'm sad.  (except i'm not because i got nice
mail today from nice people and i'm playing
'Before Hollywood' and feeling all.... oooh, you
know.)

the dukeTangents On-Line
http://www.virtual-pc.com/tangent/
Tangents On-Paper: PO Box 102, Exeter, EX2 4YL, UK

tangent at mail.zynet.co.uk