Sinister: Matt H's thoughts on B&S

David & Katrina d.kitchen at xxx.net
Mon Sep 22 22:14:24 BST 1997

Matthew A. Neimark wrote:
> I think it's appalling that you folks from Jeepster don't complain
> about copies of Tigermilk going for 300 pounds, but threaten legal
> action against a CD made from a CASSETTE DUB.  That ridiculous,
> especially considering you posted a few weeks ago to the indie-list
> saying that there was "little or no chance" of Tigermilk ever getting
> reissued.
>
> And no, I'm not jealous of you super-cool cats who personally know the
> band and have autographed copies of Tigermilk because I'm in perfect
> bliss with my cheap "nth generation" cassette.  (Actually it's a first
> generation cassette but I'd be content if it was nth generation.)

It's not that Jeepster don't want people to have copies and I think that
the problem is they sound too stern in e-mail. I think everyone should
own a copy of Tigermilk and I support home taping as long as it doesn't
affect the band's income or stability (in this case it doesn't), at the
same time I see where Jeepster are coming from. They are one of a lot of
people who have offered Belle and Sebastian the chance to re-release
Tigermilk only to be rejected. Belle and Sebastian continuously express
an interest in NOT releasing Tigermilk again in the UK and only a mild
interest in the US option.

As such Jeepster probably feel they have to protect the bands interests
and make sure that no pro quality bootleg starts circulating. Hence the
crackdown on a poss' CD copy. Yeah it seems silly, but would you like to
buy a copy of Tigermilk and discover that it's a bootleg, 'cause I know
for a fact that if someone went to the effort of producing a bootleg
they'd try and pass it of as real.

The argument that we all know it's LP only and wouldn't fall for it
doesn't hold either, we still get a few letters asking where people can
get the CD Tigermilk, we even have people asking for free promo CD's of
it!

Stopping bootlegging is not from any vindictiveness, they are trying to
protect both the band and you. Tape dubs, fine. Can't be stopped and
can't be helped, besides everyone should own a copy of Tigermilk. But CD
dubs, no thanks, too dangerous. Let's not be ripped off and let's not
offend a band we love so much.

David (not Jeepster) - trying very hard to correct a lack of eloquence.
--
   http://www.totalweb.co.uk/bluesoda/belleandsebastian.htm
               mailto:d.kitchen at virgin.net