Sinister: Paul's back

Honey psm at xxx.net
Tue Sep 23 15:47:09 BST 1997

OK, I'm back from France.  Those of you who don't know why I'm telling you
this, I am the "Mr Mitchell" who runs this list ("Paul" to anyone who can
swear in three languages) and I've been on hols.  And there are plenty of
you newcomers, so welcome one and all.  Anyway I'm back and slightly
surprised that the list has kept going, archiving, digesting and generally
chewing in my absence.  Maybe I'm dispensable.

In fact I nearly logged in from a cyber-cafe near Quimper to check things
were OK, but decided I couldn't risk the high sad-old-git factor.

Talking of S.O.G.'s, I'm glad David Kitchen stepped in and made his comments
about the John Peel thread.  Fully support his comments and those of others
in favour of a bit more niceness.  Please see my WWW page if you haven't and
the tiny minority stop being rude to each other: I will have to step in if
anyone gets nasty.  I reckon we owe our friends the other side of the water
about 15 B&S-irrelevant messages to catch up, especially after their valiant
contributions about the US appearances.

I've been a teensy bit stung by the strong and varying opinions on the
relevant/tangential nature of postings to this list, so I will be as a tiny
mouse with a sore throat until lots of people tell me they don't like what's
being posted.  As I said before, I don't intend to do any censoring (and
haven't), just go with the majority view.  Right now the list is a damn good
read (for me anyway).

So if anyone's got any problems with the list, or just wants to tell me how
good/crap it is, just mail me privately.

Some other random comments from what's been going on (couple more follow-ups
to come):

 o Andrew (Dean): messages that went to the list but never
   made the archive: hmm, I was kind of waiting for someone to say
   that.  The way the archive gets constructed was bashed together
   by me as if with sellotape in an excited rush so I'll revisit it.
   If anyone else notices this, could they mail me *privately* with
   a copy of the message that didn't make it.

 o Keith (Watson): what's all this about "book-lined graves?".  Intrigued
   but clueless.

 o Has anyone seen mention of any of our sites/lists in the press?  Would
   be interested to see if we ever get a mention.  In fact a bit nervous -
   when The Guardian mentioned the best Teletubbies site it was closed
   down within 24 hours because of a ridiculous increase in the number
   of accesses...

 o Sexuality/gender - ambiguity in sexual orientation in lyrics can get a
   bit... hmm I suppose obvious to these ears, viz Morrisey in the latter
   days - seems to sometimes just become a game.  I think the really nice
   thing about B&S is that it's *gender* too, e.g. "You know the world was
   meant for men, not us".  One of my favourite lines.

 o Why doesn't the list administrator like the band fronted by Mark Knopfler
   someone asked?  Hmm I'll leave the answer to that one to the FAQ...

 o clv: yes, they are.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that running this mailing list is still a joy.
So thanks to all of you for your continued support and enthusiam.  Getting
back from a wonderful holiday with only a bottle of extra strong Calvados
from a farm and a broken Peugeot to show for it, the only thing that could
save the sombre mood was reading through two weeks' worth of messages and
once again tasting the weight of feeling for this wonderful music.  That and
the fact that they're repeating The Sweeney on Channel 5.  "Get yuh clothes
on love, you're nicked" as my girlfriend would say.

Paul
mailto:owner-sinister at majordomo.net