Sinister: Re: Bootlegs

MWaggner at xxx.com MWaggner at xxx.com
Wed Sep 24 00:39:53 BST 1997

I have to agree with what seems to be shaping up as the majority opinion on
the "bootleg" issue.  I have just heard a tape of Tigermilk and it is lovely
-- I like the acoustic feel of some of the songs, and the simplicity I guess
I'd call it, compared to ... Sinister.  However, dub quality is usually less
than wonderful, and it would be great to have a cleaner copy.  I read the
first mailing about putting Tigermilk on CD not as a bootlegging venture, but
as a way to exchange copies (as is being done on tape) in a cleaner, more
listener-friendly format.  In any event, if the band does not intend to
re-release the album then they would not be losing any money at all if people
are exchanging (or even selling) CD copies.  I would hazard a guess that most
people who might purchase a "bootleg" copy would indeed buy any eventual
re-release as well.  Especially if it had an added track, as is suggested
elsewhere.  Look at all the people who buy both the vinyl and CD of releases
by bands they like -- do bands release on vinyl expecting that it is going to
other than a collectors item for most people?  It's a marketing decision
because people will buy the vinyl AND the CD.

I would never buy a bootleg version of a regularly released album -- but
there are bootlegs I will buy if that is the only way to get the material.  I
would much prefer that the artist get the money him/her self,  but if the
artist has made the choice to pass on making that money...   I don't feel
wonderful about it, but my curiousity usually gets the best of me.

Let's all just beg B&S to re-release Tigermilk and end this whole debate.