Sinister: RE: sinister-digest V1 #20 (fwd)

Honey psm at xxx.net
Wed Sep 24 16:48:02 BST 1997

From: "Matthew A. Neimark" <mattn at xxx.com>

> In other B&S news, the band was given a brief mention in the New Yorker
> magazine within an article on Britpop (or Dadrock as they called it).  The
> article was mainly concerned with bands such as Radixhexd and Oxxxs (wasn't
> sure if my message would get through if I mentioned these bands).

Dadrock - mmmm, like it.  Deadrock?  Fauxrock?  Never mind you have reminded
me I should add some more filters on incoming mail :)

While I'm on here's a message I wrote after hols but never sent - inspired
by some of the stuff I read when I got back:

I was very touched by messages from a few about the B&S music experience
being so special.  Particularly Nicola's "Free National Express Tea" story;
and "superbob" about the "rightness" of B&S's music.  This was my experience
too - the moment I heard Sinister (yes, I'm also not a real fan) everything
went gooey and I realised that this was what I had been waiting for -
there's something so "right" about every turn and twist of the melody that I
sometimes get suspicious it's been engineered with knowledge of my personal
DNA make-up.  In fact I could almost write an Ink Polaroid (I'm not allowed
to enter so it's allowed to be crap...):

   "This one is of me lying in bed under my quilt with my headphones
    on: listening to "Sinister" for the first time.  Linda just walked in
    the room and is giving me that funny smile when she's about to take the
    piss, but you can't see that because she's behind the camera.  "Fox In
    The Snow" has just started up - I remember because I'd just been
    following the chord changes through the first verse into the chorus and
    couldn't believe how right it all was and how I felt a bit emotional.
    My feet are sticking out the end of the duvet because I got very hot -
    you often do with M.E.

    Splat is sitting next to me on the bed and staring at the camera too -
    she's got those funny staring uncomprehending eyes she sometimes gets
    when you look at her.  She's hoping she can stay all night but knows she
    can't really get away with it - you can see her hairs all over the
    duvet.  She looks tired because she spent half an hour chasing the light
    from a torch across the kitchen floor just before.

    There should be another one of me when I got to "Judy", but it got all
    blurred because Linda opened the camera before it unwound.  It was just
    when I heard the school recorders playing and got all excited and
    started telling Linda about it, frantically, like I always do about
    music, but louder than I should because of the headphones."

Paul
mailto:owner-sinister at majordomo.net