Sinister: other groups / recommendations

oc245d8aff at xxx.net oc245d8aff at xxx.net
Thu Sep 25 21:30:39 BST 1997

duke of harringay wrote:

> Other recommendations: just picked up the Photek
> LP and you'd probably hate it but i think it's
> rather fine.  Also imagine my amazement to see
> 'Circles' by Alex F at #20 in the UK singles
> charts!  Only a couple of years late... sigh.
> What next, Bukem on TOTP?  Barbles on about
> drum'n'bass for too long, therebay getting all the
> lists hackles up (except Alex!  Respect to him...
> and anyone else who i'm blanketing).
>
> Alex F....did I read somewhere that he's Alvin Stardust's
> son? Or am I "on one", as they used to say?

    I haven't heard Mister Photek's album. Needless to say
it's unavailable here...I have bought some compilations, but
sadly I've no idea whether they're any good or not. I have
the same trouble with jazz. I need a jazz'n'jungle Yoda to
show me the way. I bought the Chemical Brothers album when
it came out on the strength of the "bringing the sixties up
to date" hype. At first I didn't like it ever so much, but
it's grown on me a lot. And I do like that bloke with the
long hair.

Blimey! I've just looked through my extensive drum'n'bass
collection and lo! Photek - Rings Around Saturn. You can
tell I don't listen to it much. Another reason I don't know
whether it's any good or not is because it's got Everything
But The Girl on it, and I don't know how they rate on the
coolometer these days. I used have quite a fixation on them
at first.

I think I was thinking of Adam F earlier on.

So anyway, the point is a lot of people don't dig techno
rubbish and so onn because it's like a foreign language. But
like a foreign language, time and patience works wonders.
And an inexhaustible bank account helps too.

The one I like best on this CD is Dillinja - The Angels
Fell. My puny stereo can't cope with the monolithic bass.

For the first time since the weekend's Belle fest in
Barcelona, I'm feeling quite comfortable at home, so please
forgive my endless ramblings off topic. Off topic for now,
that is. Nobody knows what's round the corner for B&S....

Peter