Sinister: recommended releases

Kelso KELSO at xxx.com
Fri Sep 26 16:16:06 BST 1997

I think I accidentally sent this only to brad yesterday, sorry if
anyone is seeing this twice:

As per brad's request that we make recommendations for
other bands to check out, first let me give a second nod of
approval to LambChop.....its real beautiful stuff.

Rather than dwell on older records that I favour, I thought that
I'd tip my cap to some newer releases:

I myself have been spending a lot of time listening to "In
Hospitalable", the new album by the BEATNIK FIMSTARS on
merge records.  Lots of fuzz and feedback and all that, but
under it all are some very pretty songs.  Also pleasing to my
pop palate is "Square" by the ORANGE PEELS on Minty
Fresh...real charming and bright pop...very fresh-faced in its
sound.  Then, speaking of bright, there is a new
BaDaBing/Darla release from the Boston band BRIGHT.  It's
called Albatross Guesthouse and is a little more errr,
rock-oriented (but not a rock record), than their self-titled
release, but its still a gorgeous concoction of melody and
space. Oh and back to pop, definitely check out OF
MONTREAL's...I'm at al oss for the album title as well as the
label....if Neutral Milk Hotel and Olivia Tremor Control and that
whole Elephant 6 gang are pleasing to you, than you'll be
charmed by Of Montreal as well. And my final off the top of
my head recommendation is "Spoke" by CALEXICO on
Quarterstick....so exquisite, like the sounds you expect to
hear from a gypsey caravan that's travelling along the Sierra
Madre trying to find the next frontier of love.

--kelso