Sinister: Bitter Sweet Symphony

J Jackson johnj at xxx.com
Tue Sep 30 19:54:18 BST 1997

Hi Keith,
the 'sample' was actually credited on the single of Bitter Sweet Symphony,
it is from that orchestral version of 'The Last Time' which is quite good...
I heard it in full on XFM one night.
I have to say, far from it being a sample, BSS uses the whole song..with
Mr Ashcroft singing over it..probably with a bit of production too, but all
that is left out is the actual chorus part from 'The Last Time'.

I tried to find this version in the shops but so far, no luck.

Anyway, it IS obvious...and absolutely NOT a completely different song with
a small
string sample.

Byeee!
JJ

>Just noticed on the inside of the Verve album today that "BIttersweet
Symphony" is credited to Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. This is hot on the
heels of Allen Klein finding out that they used a sample from the Stones
Orchestral version by Andrew Loog Oldham. Does anyone understand how Verve
can lose their entire royalties on this point... Incidentally, it's not the
main string motif that's the sample, it's much less obvious (so I'm told, I
can't make it out myself). I mean, you appear to be able to make money out
of doing a cover version, and when they do a completely different song with
a small snatch of a weird stones cover version in itself they receive no
money. Fuck... Actually I've just noticed, the credits say: