Sinister: happy

Johnston, John CT John.Johnston at xxx.uk
Wed Apr 1 09:49:46 BST 1998

I was thinking that I can instantly think of sad songs and songs that
make me cry but then I thought what about the other end of the
spectrum....

Sad songs say so much and all that but what with Summer Time now upon us
(even if it isn't Summertime yet) and the picnic season fast approaching
(Yippeeee!!!) I'd like to mention that sometimes music can (whisper
it!!) make you impossibly happy. Some songs make me grin from start to
finish and revel in every second of their duration. These tend to be
Disco classics and above all "Disco Inferno". There's such an epic
majesty to that song but for one purpose and one purpose only - to get
people moving on the dancefloor. Its intentions are clear and its
methods are ruthless; strings, percussion, trumpets, cymbals and guitars
dedicated to making you forget anything that was wrong, accentuating the
positive and eliminating the negative. If I had had any part in the
recording or production of that song I would consider my life well lived
and every time I hear it start a smile spreads across my lips. Who needs
drugs when you've got Disco!!!

A lot of the songs I love say nothing to me about my life. And I think
"Thank God for that" - if every song I heard said "You are a balding
computer programmer who'll never find  a girlfriend" life would be a
right pickle.

xx
John